Sunday, January 13, 2013

34 Weeks {Delivery!}

So almost two months after the girls have been born am I barely updating this {lazy woman!}. :P Pregnancy brain has not left and I fear it never will LOL. So I want to at least capture what I remember of the delivery and up to time right now.


First off, I can't remember if I've shared this before. Alas, I will do so once more. Happily After Giving Birth. This blog is hilarious; and prior me giving birth I read it {eek scary, I know!}.

I had to include the picture above. This is what I envisioned {with two babes in each arm of course}. Bright eyed and happy; balloons and flowers. Visitors galore. WRONG. This is my labor story....

Tuesday, November 13th.

I went in for a normal NST in the Perinatal department like always. My due date was 10 days away. I was getting quite annoyed by people since they said that I was likely to have a c-section and that I was basically nuts thinking I could deliver vaginally. I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR! It never occurred to me after reading millions of pages upon pages on births and vaginal delivery {even watching a scary water home birth on YouTUBE..that's a no-no, never again!}, that I could have a C-section scheduled if the babies did not come by the 23rd. I thought they would just induce me. So hearing that from the nurses again, annoyed me. Babies were doing quite well on the monitor considering I was stressed {hadn't slept very well the night before and Eric had a group/class project that time so was unable to go with me to the appt}. At this point, I was already on bedrest, mild thank you, but still bedrest. Just driving to my appt and walking to the hospital made me out of breath. Every time my vitals were checked my BP was high {duh, I'm 8.5 months pregnant with twins and up 34 lbs. What do you expect?!} So when the nurse told my my BP was high and that I needed to be monitored in L&D, you could imagine my angst. I was no stranger to L&D, why I had been there quite a few times for monitoring my BP. I was diagnosed with mild preclampsia and had to take steroid shots my 32nd week in just in case the babies came too early. So I was ushered in a wheelchair all the down to L&D. Monitored for a bit and then one of the attending physicians told me I was dilated 3cm {WHAT?!}

Don't you feel those contractions?
Well, yeah.
Are they painful?
Well, yeah!
You're in early stage of labor.
Crap.

At this point I was in denial. I had contractions before, thank you BH. They just always went away after I got some rest and water. So after a frantic call to Eric and reminding him of all the items that need to be in hospital bag/car {had a gut feeling I should've put the hospital bag in the car when I left that afternoon}, I was unwillingly admitted to L&D.

Of course, still in denial after they admitted me, got me comfy in the L&D private room and talked about my options with delivery. I was 34.3 weeks gestation - all I could think was that these babies weren't ready! I wasn't ready. We weren't ready. What was going on? Side note now that I remember - I hadn't eaten anything that day {I had overslept and just grabbed a yogurt prior my original appointment thinking I would grab a burger after}. Stupid girl LOL. I coerced a nurse on giving me crackers and juice. While the doctor left the room I seized the moment and gobbled them up. I knew that would be my last meal for a very long time: apple juice in a box and graham crackers. Oh! I had some trail mix in my purse that I snuck in, too. :)

So after I called Eric {told him to get himself something to eat and bring all the bags to L&D} - I started making my calls to the parents. Eric's mom had to schedule a flight out since his parents are currently living in New Orleans. I impressed the importance to my parents that they needed to leave Bakersfield as soon as possible. I had no idea when these babies were going to come.

When Eric finally arrived {it was dreadful just waiting and feeling contractions}, we got settled in our room and the rounds of nurses and doctors flooded in. Baby B {Lila} was breech; she had been for the last two weeks. Talk about C-section came up and I told them my birth plan: epidural when needed, no induction if possible and vaginal delivery. They let me know that the doctors in the next 3 shifts {who knew how long we'd be here} were fine with a breech delivery. Thank goodness for that, too. I felt good for awhile - contracts were there but I wasn't moving along as they wanted. Little by little it felt the babies were never going to come {can I just go home now?} Family arrived late that night and no new news occurred. I ended up getting my epidural despite my hesitation since the pain wasn't unbearable at all.

Wednesday, November 14th

Still no babies; they were healthy though and mommy was hungry. I eventually got to 6cm but still not where the doctors wanted me. To top it off, everyone had an extremely hard time monitoring Lila. She wiggled around so much and hid behind Leah that they needed to induce me for the safety of me and the babies. Also, my BP sky rocketed so I was given magnesium sulfate. By this time was exhausted. All I talked about was how I was going to eat a turkey sandwich after delivery LOL.To make a long story somewhat shorter, I was giving pitocin after two attempts to break my water {the third time the doctor was able to break it and I was told that was the most water any of the doctors had ever seen LOL}.I lost 10 lbs right then and there :)

After all that craziness, the epidural wore off. WORE OFF. I beared the pain for quite some time and finally said something. The anesthesiologist {a slighly mad, crazy man I would say} had to give me higher doses 3x since it was wearing off and I felt pain on my right side. Since the epidural wore off and the new doses did nothing, the contractions were intensified by the pitocin and needless to say,  I WANTED TO DIE {you crazy women out there who forgo medical intervention! Crazy you are! LOL}. Eric was a great coach while the contractions become harder and the side effects of the pitocin kicked in {hello body shakes}. The delivery team told us we wouldn't be delivering in my room, that I needed to be taken to the OR just in case it became a vaginal/c-section. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Not only was I pregnant with twins, I had the potential as a first time mom to deliver BOTH vaginal for Baby A and c-section for Baby B.

MAKE IT STOP. The anesthesiologist came back to see what he would do about my epidural. There was talk that I had to get it again {are you serious?} or give me lidocaine {sure! Hit me up!} I ended up getting the straight lidocaine {against my nurse's wishes since I could've gone numb from waist down and not feel the contractions}. However, I was determined to deliver vaginally and I knew I needed some calming agent to soothe the contractions so I could concentrate on getting the babies out as soon as possible.
 {My thoughts: oh yay a picture? Yes please, while I am shivering like I am in the arctic and covered with blankets. Oh and sans makeup - the one thing I told myself NOT to forget}.

Whisked away to the OR, on lidocaine, still feeling the contractions, we were ready to deliver. My nurse was amazing, she was so supportive and such a great coach she made the whole experience bearable. We had about 16 people in the OR: doctors, anesthesiologist, nurses, hubby, etc. I was shivering like mad. I was able to push and after 9 attempts {yes, I counted}, Baby A was born!

Leah Belle Bryant
5lbs, 7 oz. 18 inches at 9:56 PM
 

 After 3 attempts {again, counted!}, Baby B was born!

Lila Rose Bryant
3 lbs, 13 oz, 17 inches at 9:58 PM




3 comments:

Jenna Brown said...

I have to comment: I love your commentary! And wow- what a crazy experience! I'm so excited that you were able to keep the majority of your birth plan. A lot of mine flew out the window. It's so interesting to try to prepare a plan for a life experience that you've never...well, experienced. :)

I'm so glad that you and your babies came out healthy and beautiful!

Carla said...

Yay, finally! I'm glad your babies are here and healthy.

Heather said...

Hi Kimi and Eric! Thanks for sharing your story! My name is Heather and I was wondering if you could answer my question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)