Saturday, April 17, 2010

New beginnings....in a different way!


Last Sunday Eric and I received our new callings! Not only did we receive a calling in Primary but a JOINT calling lol. I'm excited to start this new calling but I'm super nervous since I'll be in Primary! I've NEVER been in Primary lol. Lately I've been listening to the songs and memorizing them for the most part, but it'll be different from Young Women's that's for sure.

I'm excited to use my visual aids in teaching, since that's my style. It's the Valiant 10 class with about 5 girls and 1 boy, should be very interesting.

If anyone has any tips on this class or Primary in general, I'd greatly appreciate it. We're teaching in the Primary 6 book: The Old Testament. I always love those stories and better yet the kids won't know them as well as the Book of Mormon stories so that's going to be a relief lol.

3 comments:

The Pollocks said...

What a fun calling! Gary and I are currently serving in the Nursery together. It's nice having your spouse with you!

I've been in and out of the primary program for a long time. The Valiant 10 kids are very smart, so most of the time they enjoy doing things for themselves, like answering questions, writing on the chalkboard, helping with the lesson, etc. I don't know specifically how your class will be, but yeah...just my experience! Sometimes they tend to be a little louder than the smaller kids, too. So keeping them involved helps. There's also a lot of websites like sugardoodle.net with lots of teaching ideas.
Good luck in your new calling!!

Jenna Brown said...

I second the advice with sugardoodle.net. They have some really cool ideas- specific to the lesson that you are teaching.


The Old Testament is fun, huh?

Unknown said...

One thing- you have to keep their attention by constantly changing the activities and not just sitting there telling a story. Have them act it out. And sugardoodle.net is a lifesaver.